Book DescriptionIn recent times, venture capital and private equity funds have become household names, but so far little has been written for the investors in such funds, the so-called limited partners. There is far more to the management of a portfolio of venture capital and private equity funds than usually perceived. Beyond the J Curve
describes an innovative toolset for such limited partners to design and manage portfolios tailored to the dynamics of this market place, going far beyond the typical and often-simplistic recipe to ‘go for top quartile funds’.
Beyond the J Curve provides the answers to key questions, including:
- Why ‘top-quartile’ promises should be taken with a huge pinch of salt and what it takes to select superior fund managers?
- What do limited partners need to consider when designing and managing portfolios?
- How one can determine the funds’ economic value to help addressing the questions of ‘fair value’ under IAS 39 and ‘risk’ under Basel II or Solvency II?
- Why is monitoring important, and how does a limited partner manage his portfolio?
- How the portfolio’s returns can be improved through proper liquidity management and what to consider when over-committing?
- And, why uncertainty rather than risk is an issue and how a limited partner can address and benefit from the fast changing private equity environment?
Beyond the J Curve takes the practitioner’s view and offers private equity and venture capital professionals a comprehensive guide making high return targets more realistic and sustainable. This book is a must have for all parties involved in this market, as well as academic and students.